|Mathematics Mission Statement:
Mathematics offers an important way of viewing, analyzing and interpreting the world. It allows us to observe patterns, develop conjectures and make predictions. We strive to nurture a mathematical point of view in our students at all levels whether they are pursuing a liberal arts education in the humanities, in need of mathematical skills to complement other fields of study or wish to study mathematics as a core discipline.
We also aim to provide a thorough undergraduate training in mathematics for those students who wish to pursue graduate study in mathematics, teach mathematics in the secondary school systems, or work in various fields of business and industry.
The mathematics department will attain these goals by:
- Providing an up-to-date curriculum that is both broad in diversity of subject matter and rigorous in content.
- Expand students’ mathematical reasoning, problem solving and communication abilities.
- Promote connections with other disciplines through the co-concentration program.
- Develop students’ use and appreciation of technologies relevant to the study of mathematics.
- Provide a curriculum of general education mathematics courses with substantive skill development in quantitative and abstract reasoning.